Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Georgia On My Mind

Talking about Georgia, Georgia...the whole day through, just an old sweet song, keeps Georgia on my mind...

I opened with this song for my new friends. It set the tone. I had been feeling sick all day and for a moment, I felt good. I'm so ready to be feeling good for a good long time, not just pockets of bliss here and there. We sang through the night until we closed the place down. It's mid-week and no one is here anyway. So we have the whole place to ourselves.

My new friends don't know me and I don't know them. It is a clean slate. No past, just the present. A wonderful beginning. These people are all singers. They have done this so many times, they know the lyrics, they know the music and they can sing. I feel like I'm in good company. There's a pool table too and I haven't played in forever.

The young Thai girl keeps coming over to pour beer in unfinished glasses and wrap her paws around the guys. I am not sure what she's working for. I don't think she gets tips. No matter. Since you are here, take this to the guy and let him set us all up for our next song selections. But then she comes back again, tipping ice into beer glasses and pouring more and more. You can't keep track of how many you've had. I put my hand firmly over my glass. No more!

Shelly is responsible for introducing me to this bunch of people. I am simply Gigi. No last name. No need really. I've known Shel for a long time but we weren't really friends. In 2 days we have become fast friends, connecting perhaps in many unspoken ways. These are her friends I am with. One of them in particular is an amazing singer. His repertoire stretched from Chinese songs of 20 years ago to Tom Jones, Michael Buble and Enrique Iglesias. And his voice makes anyone melt. I'll stop the world and melt with you. I'm reminded of that Modern English song. It was like a form of synaesthesia for me to feel his voice, and not just hear it. Sublime..

And now I see what the Thai girl is getting. Free beer. She has a little glass on our table as well. Funny I didn't notice that before. Why would one work for that? Wouldn't money be better?

The night ended more than 4 hours ago and I'm still wide awake. Something is keeping me awake and I can't put my finger on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment