Monday, August 9, 2010

Ode to Alice

I made a card for my dear friend Alice last night. A rare picture of the two of us in a displayable frame with a note attached. A wish and a prayer for my "BFF" and a dear old friend that she is going to take her newfound freedom to a higher level. To be happy is a privilege. Not all of us can claim that we are happy. Some of us are content with being content.

Happiness is contagious. It tends to permeate your surroundings and infect the people around you like a disease but a welcomed kind of disease. When one exudes happiness, you will see it all around her. Happy breeds happy. If a mother is happy, look at her children. A twinkle of the child's eye, a crack of a smile from those innocent lips. You're in heaven. Happy, breeds happy.

I was invited to see Alice's new house last year. This was a home built on very little trust and love, but that which has blossomed into a beautiful and warm place. I got a sense of home when I walked in there. This was a house that was lived-in. Not one of those many homes that looked good enough for an expose in House & Garden. You know what I mean, the ones that have zero clutter and everything is just pristine. No, not this house. It wasn't messy by any means. But you could tell that despite the tensions of a divorce that was pending finality, it was a house of warmth.

I hugged her older daughter Maggie who greeted me with vigour. I planted a kiss on her forehead. She was beaming from her previous day's achievement. 100% in her Maths test, she announced. Alice's younger daughter was at school so I missed seeing her.

I can be reasonably sure that they are happier where they are today. No more tension between the parents. They seem well adjusted and smart. I am proud of their mother.

And for Alice, I wish eternal happiness. In everything she does. With whomever she decides to share her life and her children.

No comments:

Post a Comment